Waging am See
Waging was populated as early as 500AD. The first inhabitants were called the Bajuwaren. Later, in 740, Waging was an important village situated on the „salt road“ connecting Bad Reichenhall with Wasserburg am Inn. In those days, Waging was a part of the Province of Salzburg. After 1810, Waging belonged to Bavaria. With the building of the railway line from Traunstein to Waging in the year 1902, the first tourists arrived amounting to 100-200 overnight stays. During the 30s, Waging started its tourist industry. In 1951, Wilhelm Schwarnow, a travel agent from northern Germany, was so overwhelmed by the beautiful scenery that he organized eight special trains to Waging am See the following year. In this year many tourists enjoyed their holidays here (38,000 overnight stays). Today, Waging is proud to have 7,000 inhabitants who are able to enjoy the same beautiful scenery, the cheerful beer gardens and the close vicinity of Salzburg and Munich 365 days a year.